Sunday, August 13, 2017

Painting purple Clematis in oil paints, and a Crepe Myrtle tree not massacred by Sandra Cutrer Fine Art

I love Clematis, and I don't know why I haven't painted it before. Clematis is actually a gorgeous flowering, easy-to-grow vine. So, here goes. 



I start off with some dark purples, and the red that I see in the blooms. I think i ma going with a textured look. I've already dipped into the background with greens. I use a Phthalo green, Sap green, and Thalo yellow green. I also add some French Ultra Marine blue in the mix at times- for the darker greens.

I work fast, so I don't "over-work" my piece. A close-up shot reveals lose and large strokes. I use a palette knife, as well as a large and small brush,



Here is a shot of the canvas side. Although it is only a .75" wrapped canvas, I usually try to always paint the sides of my canvases, just in case my buyer would rather not frame the work.
   


A shot of a timid bloom.



The finished painting.

I hope you've enjoyed a few steps in my painting process. Please click on the link provided below to go directly to my Etsy Shop, where this piece is listed for sale.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/550504119/flowers-purple-clematis-textured-oil?ref=shop_home_active_1


Blessings to you and yours, 
Sandra Reeves Cutrer
Fine Art






It's raining cats and dogs... by Sandra Reeves Cutrer

I totally enjoy painting pet portraits, in oils, so much! Here are a few of my custom/commissioned pieces. I hope you wil enjoy them.If yo...